Friday, November 18, 2011

Dog Food

Tonight Emmy and Oatmeal are eating Poached Salmon with Pumpkin, Peas, and Turnip Greens. Cooking such a yummy meal seems like a very altruistic thing for me to do, doesn't it? Then you realize that Ben will make me eat said turnip greens if I don't figure out a convenient way to dispose of them. Turnips are tolerable.  Turnip greens are the most vile "food" on earth. And I've eaten tripe...

Poached Salmon with Pumpkin, Peas, and Turnip Greens


Ingredients
1 Salmon Fillet (checked for pin bones)
1/4 c Peas
As many turnip greens as you can safely put in a pan without Ben giving the stink eye
4 T Canned Pumpkin
3/4 c Cool, Fresh Water
*Correct dosage of dietary supplement made specifically for dogs on a homemade diet

Directions
Place peas, turnip greens, and water into a saute pan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Place salmon fillet in the pan. Cook covered for 5 minutes or until desired doneness.  Let the salmon cool until it will not be too hot for your pooch's tongue and then stir in the pumpkin. Serve in a metallic bowl placed lovingly on the floor while your pup freaks out with an intensity usually reserved for heroin addicts. Serves two, thirty pound dogs.

*Consult a vet before starting your dog on a homemade diet.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you've eaten tripe? I thought that was in the dog-food-only category. I've smelled the stuff, vile!

    It's awesome that you've started a homemade diet for your dogs! Is this an all-the-time thing or just once in a while? I have Shady on a grain-free kibble diet right now, and if I deviate too far from it, well... you can guess what happens, and it doesn't help with housetraining! Anyway, you've inspired me to make a post on our puppy's favourite homemade chew: sweet potato rawhide! Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I switch back and forth between Orijen dry dog food and feeding them homemade dog food. Right now oatmeal is having some allergies (eyes watering, itching and chewing) so I decided to put them on a homemade diet for a bit to see if it was his food. I think it's just ragweed season though. Poor little tyke. It's fun cooking for them, regardless.

    I'm excited about your post. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on dog food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you trying out a home prepared diet! We have been feeding our hounds a raw diet since 2001 -- wow! ten years now. I would NEVER switch back. For the first couple of months I tried "cooking" for them using the Pitcairn recipes as guidelines and then morphed into prey model feeding. That's when we went full raw - Much easier and, imo, a more natural way to go. Additionally, I am thrilled that we never throw away any food. If we do not feed veg remains to the hounds, they go into stock.

    Is it not wonderful to see your dogs so so happy to eat!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally curious about raw diets. Do you feed them bones too? Do you have to worry about obstructions/splinters/salmonella. How much do they eat a day on a raw diet? Do you need to give them supplements?

    ReplyDelete